How To Identify The Truth
Here is a statement made by
Mr. X that I agree with.
"NOTE: JUST BECAUSE A DOCTRINE HAS BEEN TAUGHT AN HOUR, A DAY, A WEEK, A MONTH, A YEAR, OR A THOUSAND YEARS DOES NOT MAKE IT EITHER RIGHT OR WRONG. A DOCTRINE IS RIGHT ONLY WHEN IT IS THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH, AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH. THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE WH0 BELIEVE A DOCTRINE, WHETHER NONE OR A MILLION, DOES NOT DETERMINE WHETHER THE DOCTRINE IS RIGHT OR WRONG.
There are several very important points that I wish to make based upon this argument.
1. His belief that the traditional view is wrong states that what the Bible teaches is different than what has been taught for years. So he believes that any who disagree with him are wrong. He even admits that he once held this traditional view position.
2. It is amazing to me that for 1900+ years, God has allowed us to believe the wrong doctrine. I would feel compassion for all of those souls who have been led into hell because the true doctrine was denied to them.
3. Why did it take until the middle of the 20th century for people to realize the truth on this matter? [I hope you can read my sarcasm in these questions].
4. For something to be the truth, it must meet certain qualifications.
a. It must come from a true source.
b. It must rest upon a true source.
c. It must support a true source.
d. It must not have any flaws.
e. It must not have any contradictions.
f. It must not be bound by time.
g. It must be accepted.
h. It must be respected.
i. It must not contradict any scripture.
j. It must not contradict any laws of God.
k. It must not lead anyone into error.
(Deut 32:4; Joshua 24:14; 1 Sam 12:24; 1 Kings 17:24; Psa 25:10;
Psa 33:4; Psa 86:11; Psa 100:5; Psa 119:142; Psa 119:151;
Psa 119:160; Psa 145:18; John 1:14; John 1:17; John 4:23-24;
John 8:32; John 14:6; John 16:13; John 17:17; Rom 2:2,8;
Gal 3:1; Gal 4:16; Eph 1:13; 1 Tim 2:4; 1 Tim 3:15; 2 Tim 2:15;
2 Tim 3:7; 1 John 1:6,8)
5. Countless millions have believed false doctrines throughout the years. That did not make them right. They did this because they did not love the truth.
6. If we want to go to heaven and if we are going to lead others there, we must learn the truth on this subject and stick to it. We cannot let society decide acceptable standards. Only the divine standards will accomplish their goal of bringing souls into heaven.
Return to theDivorce and Remarriage index
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /